Our Mission for Physical Education and Recreation Programs is to:
provide every student with :
- A positive movement experience in a non-intimidating environment. We do this through very carefully selected games in which all kids are active all the time, no-one gets eliminated from any games, and Fluffilos are used to promote movement success and FUN!
- The opportunity to develop the movement skills, desire, and knowledge associated with the pursuit of lifetime health and fitness. This is accomplished by making fitness fun, teaching the principles of fitness, and providing a TON of different types of movement experiences through vigorous play.
- A positive social outlet which incorporates teamwork, cooperation, good sportsmanship, integrity, persistence, acceptance, encouragement, and motivation. Tandalay promotes character – and provides specific teaching opportunities to develop these traits every day!
- The opportunity to learn how to set reasonable and realistic goals, to measure and record personal progress toward those goals, and to celebrate personal, peer, and whole team accomplishments. At Tandalay it’s about creating a culture of support, personal accomplishment, and group encouragement.
- A safe environment (physically and emotionally) in which students feel free to move, explore, and play freely. With an emphasis on “put-ups” and by banning “put-downs,” kids feel safe to explore movement with confidence. Fluffilos add to player success, build skills and confidence, and provide a rainbow of JOY!
and to provide Teachers with a movement curriculum resource which provides:
- Easy access: simply print and play!
- Easy implementation: lesson plans are done for you – from warm-up to cool-down.
- No-prep-time! lesson plans are written with easy to follow bullet points and simple instructions.
- Specially developed games and activities: just because a game is commonly played, or just because an activity is written in a book, doesn’t make it a good game. Our games must meet very specific criteria before inclusion in Tandalay Curriculum.
- Little or no equipment: with only a few pieces of inexpensive equipment, you can play every game on our website! We’ve carefully selected equipment that is versatile, easy to store, inexpensive, stimulating, enables success, and motivates the students! Our favorites are Fluffilos, hoops, Tandanas, our fitnes card decks (Move Your Body and Work Your Body card decks with 50 exercises in each deck), and of course – music!
- Quality, non-intimidating, all-inclusive, FUN FUN FUN, complete lesson plans – whether you need 20 minutes per day or two hours – there are more than enough activities for EVERY DAY! No two lesson plans are exactly alike!
- A research and standards based program that “unpacks” the physical education standards for you! Not only are they unpacked, but EVERY standard, including every NASPE benchmark is included, with what you need to know and be able to do to teach that standard, movement and teaching cues, a suggested game or activity in which to practice the standard, and a complete evaluation rubric (YES, for EVERY NASPE standard and benchmark! And for CA. We are confident that your state standards are covered, since every state uses NASPE as the building blocks for their program. Please feel free to look through our comprehensive standards – they are included at the bottom of our sample calendar pages – FREE!)